Family Events (Click on Names and Events for More Information)

Time and Temperature

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Not in my Town

".. at this moment, in this election, we can come together and say, “Not this time.” This time we want to talk about the crumbling schools that are stealing the future of black children and white children and Asian children and Hispanic children and Native American children. This time we want to reject the cynicism that tells us that these kids can’t learn; that those kids who don’t look like us are somebody else’s problem. The children of America are not those kids, they are our kids, and we will not let them fall behind in a 21st century economy. Not this time. "
-Barack Obama
As most of you know I work at one of the local schools. I have enjoyed getting to know the kids, they are bright, kind and trusting. However, some of the conditions in their lives give me great sadness. Everyday I see kids who are hungry, kids who wear threadbare sweatshirts instead of jackets in negative zero temperatures. Some of them have told me about things that have happened in their lives, stories that are so disturbing that I wonder how I am going to get through the rest of my day. It is shocking to me that in this day in age, in this country that children have to live this way.
Today I feel more hopeful than I did yesterday. Even though I do not expect any president or party to be able to solve all of the problems in this country I am heartened that we are now going to have a president who understands what the problems are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly, what an amazing election for us as Americans, it gives me some hope for change.

Megan said...

Thanks for your comment Shannon. Have you read Audacity of Hope? It is good, kind of a slow read, any book on politics is, but really insightful into the way politics can be.